Get Creative for the Holidays
With COVID cases on the rise, social distancing will continue through the holidays. We want to take this opportunity to offer creative suggestions for holiday celebrations that you can share with others in your organization.
- Small business challenge: Instead of gift cards or generic gifts, consider a creative gift exchange using only small businesses. Many local stores offer online shopping and free pickup, drive-up, and shipping.
- Consider shipping times—We've all experienced shipping delays during COVID. Don't expect that to stop during the holiday season. In fact, you may think about shopping early. You can use this USPS shipping guide.
- Family challenge—Who can give the most creative, unusual, funny, or thoughtful gift?
- Ornament exchange: For families with children, have the kids make ornaments to send to their relatives. Need some ideas? Check out these 36 adorable DIY ornaments for kids.
- A rotating gift box: Pick three to four friends or family members in different households to participate. Send your box with gifts for all of the designated people to the first person’s household. That person removes their gift from you and replaces it with their gift to the person they will send the box to next. Continue until everyone participating has received their gifts.
Family & friend gatherings
- Watch party: Host a virtual watch party, giving you the chance to watch your favorite holiday shows or movies together. With favorite movies we have watched many times, consider muting the sound and having the watchers provide the movie lines.
- Holiday treats: Learn to make your favorite treat by hosting a virtual cooking class. Have a family member or friend who makes a holiday favorite teach everyone else!
- Game night: Does your family or friend circle have a favorite game? Virtual game nights can be a great way to connect anytime. Need some ideas? Consider these family-friendly virtual games, or for some unique suggestions, check out 30 ideas for side-splitting fun.
- Holiday gathering: Host a virtual holiday party; no family member should be left behind. You can include all your friends and family in the holidays by hosting a wide variety of virtual events.
Charitable Giving & Volunteering
- Give virtually: Many organizations (including ours) are leveraging virtual giving to keep the tradition of serving our community during the holidays. Many charities offer the ability to donate online. Check out how these familiar Salvation Army holiday giving opportunities have gone virtual!
- Virtual volunteering: National and local organizations have many opportunities to volunteer safely.
- VolunteerMatch is a national organization that helps you find local and national opportunities to volunteer.
- Thinking globally? Check out the Points of Light volunteer network, the world’s largest network of volunteer opportunities.
- Would your kids like to watch cute videos of animals while helping to save their futures? ZSL Instant Wild is looking for volunteers to tag animals in videos as part of their conservation efforts.
No matter what, if you're out and about this holiday season, make sure to mask up to protect yourself and others! We would love for you to share your photos using the hashtag #MaskUpAZ.